FLOURISH St. Louis – A New Approach to Improving the Health of Babies and Families
In our region, there is great work being done by many organizations to support families in having healthy pregnancies and births. But, infant mortality in St. Louis is a complex issue – one that no single organization can solve on its own. That’s why FLOURISH St. Louis was formed – to work in a new way to achieve large-scale, lasting improvements in the health and well-being of our babies and families. We’re using a collective impact model for creating social change – a proven method for creating a new level of progress in communities. This means:
- We are bringing together many different players who can contribute to fixing the issue of infant mortality in St. Louis to develop new paths and ways of thinking for solving our region’s high rate of infant mortality.
- We are looking across our entire community and its data to determine where efforts are most needed and identifying and addressing the gaps we find.
- We are looking at promising best practices already underway in our region to align them and elevate them for an even broader impact.
- We are looking beyond our region to other communities that have better infant mortality rates to learn from them.
- We are encouraging and empowering the community to voice its needs and share ideas for solutions to address infant mortality in St. Louis.
- We are developing a system to measure the region’s progress as a whole, so we can discuss what we’ve learned and make continuous improvements.
- We are building consensus to define shared goals as a region, so we can all coordinate our efforts to reduce infant mortality in St. Louis.
FLOURISH St. Louis is funded and supported by Missouri Foundation for Health, working in coordination with the Generate Health, which organizes and coordinates the initiative. The Foundation is a resource for the region, working with communities and nonprofits to generate and accelerate positive changes in health. As a catalyst for change, the Foundation improves the health of Missourians through a combination of partnership, experience, knowledge and funding. Generate Health is dedicated to improving birth outcomes, promoting healthy families, and building healthy communities. The organization mobilizes the region through education and advocacy.
The FLOURISH St. Louis Cabinet is tasked with engaging the broader community in bringing ideas to the table and providing strategic direction and oversight for outcomes. The initial FLOURISH St. Louis Leadership Council helped develop the initial vision and structure for the initiative.